For speedy release: December 17, 2021 (21-250)Spanish
Get hold of: DOH Communications
Public inquiries: Point out COVID-19 Info Hotline, 1-800-525-0127
New COVID-19 security steering released immediately after multi-county outbreak joined to superior college wrestling tournaments
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Overall health (DOH), is updating the wellness and security specifications for large make contact with indoor athletics in the wake of a multi-faculty, multi-county outbreak. The outbreaks are joined to a series of wrestling tournaments held in early December and are connected to an believed 200 COVID-19 conditions. Genomic sequencing not too long ago confirmed at least three scenarios are omicron.
DOH will take these outbreaks very severely and is transforming the present advice by including the next health and fitness and basic safety actions for all indoor, higher-make contact with athletics and routines (basketball, wrestling, water polo, and aggressive cheer), effective quickly:
- Essential tests of all athletes, coaches, trainers, and assistance staff, regardless of vaccination position.
- Elevated testing frequency to three occasions for every 7 days. Between individuals screening exams, at minimum one particular must happen no quicker than the day prior to the levels of competition ideally, and when doable, the day of the party.
In addition, DOH desires to remind individuals of present prerequisites for all K-12 sporting occasions that aid retain athletes, staff members, and family members safer when attending these situations:
- All indoor occasion spectators ought to use masks and must distance from other people or homes to the diploma possible.
- Mask putting on is necessary amid all athletes, coaches, trainers, and support personnel in indoor public areas besides when actively competing.
- Referees ought to don masks apart from when actively officiated and functioning.
DOH also recognizes some of the impacted neighborhood health and fitness, schooling, or athletic leaders are deciding on to postpone or terminate sporting events or pause sporting pursuits in buy to stop even further distribute of the condition. There may perhaps be differences in how these functions are dealt with, so we would stimulate persons to be patient with any potential course of action or scheduling variations at the nearby level.
“Omicron is a recreation-changer, but we know layered prevention actions slow the distribute of COVID-19 in athletics, educational institutions, and communities.” said Lacy Fehrenbach, Deputy Secretary for the COVID-19 response. “Please get vaccinated, boosted, wear a properly-fitting mask, and maintain your distance to assist our children stay balanced, remain in the recreation, and keep in school.”
“Vaccinations, in addition to tests and masking, will assist hold our athletes healthy and permit everyone to carry on to delight in sporting functions though also limiting the distribute of disease,” said Dr. Tao Sheng Kwan-Gett, Main Science Officer. “Getting a booster will make safety from the omicron variant even more robust. The booster vaccine is now accessible for anyone 16 many years and older.”
Printable Variation (PDF)